March 20, 2009

The House is taking shape

When you travel for a few weeks during the framing stage of a housebuilding project, it's exciting to come back and see the big changes. We are finally starting to see the shape of the vision of our project. It's a 1939 colonial style home ....but we have quite some changes planned...with a modern look! It's a fusion project - story of our lives. I'm wondering how many can guess which side of the house is "Shelley's side"...and which side is "William's side". I'm sure those of you who know us can guess :) Although, I have to admit, I'm beginning to really love modern architecture -this has been quite an experience for us and we've both learned how to appreciate design, building, green efficiencies and of course - the art to sticking to a budget!

This is a view of the back of the house.


This is the side of the house...and you can see the structure of the 2 story screened porch.


This is our garage that yields to a tree. We didn't want to cut the branches....so the structure is becoming "artistic"! We have some interesting plans for our garage - more to come. Who would've thought a garage could become so much fun.



We dorked out around the holidays and took our Christmas card photos in front of our big project this year (besides the baby Chan project, of course). Here's our cheeseball posed shots where we pretend to know how to actually use power tools. You'll get an idea of the magnitude of our crazy project.





2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow!! I love it! Wes and I love modern architecture and we also love old houses. We've lived in houses from the 40's and 50's. This is our newest house - built in the '70's. I can't wait to see your finished project!

DorT said...

Tim and I are the same. If I had my way we would live in an open plan, minimalist haven - lots of glass and steel. My ideal home would be a converted airplane bunker....go figure. Renzo Piano eat your heart out!