February 19, 2009

An Inspiring Woman

As one drives up Mount Entoto, the highest peak overlooking the city of Addis Ababa, there are probably hundreds of old and young women going up and down the mountain on foot...carrying large bundles of firewood down. It's an unbelievable sight. I can't imagine how much money the average American woman pays for bootcamps and aerobics class instructors to drill them into shape. I also can't imagine a typical American woman being capable of the physical endurance that these Ethiopian woman experience during their daily lifestyle.
We saw this woman going down the mountain as we were driving up...and after hanging out for awhile on top of the mountain for a few hours...we saw her going down the mountain again as we drove down!


At this point, she's like...."Are you silly Americans going to give me some cash for allowing you to take all of these invasive photographs of me, or what?" Later on, I gave her some more money to give me a personal training session to kick my bum in gear.

No comments: