February 11, 2006

Recipes

Being a newlywed...AND a former raw foodist for five years, I didn't come to my marriage with too much material to work with in feeding my carnivorous husband. I know we live in 2006 and not all wives have time or desires to cook, but I've got this fabulous mother who has a great career AND cooks up huge tasty meals like a farmer's daughter (ok, so she was a farmer's daughter). I have a biological inner need (pressure) to cook large amounts of food for my new husband.
Here are the favorite (ok, only) recipes of 2006. I need more to work with so please have pity and send me your favorite recipe.

Mom's spaghetti and Meatballs
Sauce:
2 cans crushed or chopped tomatoes - 28 oz size
8 oz can of tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce - 14 oz
1 large onion, chopped
3-5 thai peppers (can omit if you don't like your sauce with a little bite)
1 green pepper, chopped
5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
fresh basil, chopped
fresh or dried oregano
1 tsp italian seasoning
3 tsp sugar
3 bay leaves
chopped parsley
(mushrooms optional)
pepper and salt to taste

Brown onions, peppers, garlic (optional mushrooms) in olive oil. Fresh herbs for only 3-5 minutes. Add tomatoes, etc & seasonings
Bring to boil and simmer...or keep in crockpot
Add some red wine

Meatballs:
1# ground sirloin beef
1# sage sausage (or hot and spicy)
1 cup italian flavor bread crumbs (i like progresso)
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tbl worcestershire
2 tbl catsup

Combine all and shape into meatballs...bake on cookie sheet at 400 for about 20 minutes. When done put meatballs in sauce and simmer for about 2 hrs. If sauce is too thick, thin down with wine.

No comments: